Proving the Value of Your In-House Agency
One of the challenges internal agencies face is proving their value, particularly when it comes to dated stereotypes in relation to external agencies. Not only are in-house agencies contributing creative ideas, they’re contributing to the bottom line—resulting in a value equation that outside providers are hard pressed to match.
So, what constitutes “value” in house?
With the help of over 100 in-house agency professionals, we’ve compiled the top 25 things you can do to prove the value of your team.
- Measure your direct costs if the same work were to be produced outside.
- Compare your speed and throughput against outside agencies.
- Issue a quarterly dashboard to corporate execs detailing the “savings” the in-house agency delivers to the company.
- Measure the impact of your work in the marketplace—nothing says value like ROI.
- Develop a series of business cases that tell the story of the value your in-house agency delivers to the company.
- Tell your value story through infographics.
- From project intake to workflow processes, make it easy for clients to work with the in-house agency.
- Survey your internal clients to measure their satisfaction as customers of the in-house agency.
- Hold quarterly review meetings with clients to address issues that may be preventing your mutual success.
- Publish client kudos and vendor endorsements via email blasts as well as on your Intranet site.
- Circulate trade articles and data that supports the value of the in-house agency model in general.
- Stay abreast of new technology and trends, educating clients on emerging forms of outreach and engagement.
- Get close to the external customer—have your team do market swings or shadow sales people in the field.
- Demonstrate your institutional knowledge by enhancing marketing program strategies.
- Organize monthly lunch-and-learns where your team teaches something new to your clients.
- Develop a blog of thought-leadership pieces that can aid and educate your clients.
- Don’t say “yes” to every project that comes your way—make sure your in-house agency is focused on the work that matters most.
- Establish a gallery that showcases your work.
- Benchmark your creative work against other winning brands within your industry.
- Enter awards shows and win—trumpet your triumphs to clients and corporate executives.
- Foster a creative culture both in how your team operates and your physical environment.
- Legos, licorice, Lincoln logs: become the place your clients go to “get away” from their own stale environments.
- Recruit, hire and retain top talent.
- Build “value” into your team’s individual performance metrics.
- Run quality meetings—AMEN to that!
Want more creative thinking on things like client appreciation, promoting your team, and collaborating with external partners? IHAF has a wide array of focused content in the Research & Resources section of our website. Such goodies are available to IHAF members only, so be sure you’re logged-in to gain access. Not a member of IHAF? That’s easy too—join us!
No Reader Comments
Building a Purpose-Driven Culture
August 20, 2018
During last year’s IHAF Conference & Award’s Show, CEO of We First Branding, Simon Mainwaring, shared how to successfully build your brand’s philosophy, community and cultural leadership. In fact, his session was so well received that we invited him back as a webinar presenter this fall.
IHAF Awards: The Results Are In!
September 17, 2018
For months, the IHAF team has been busy gathering, organizing and admiring nearly 700 entries submitted by 77 in-house agencies in anticipation of the judging event for the 2018 IHAF Awards. And, the results are in!
Last week, a panel of 13 experts pored over every part and piece of your …